Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review: Leviathan


Title: Leviathan
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Published: 2009 by Simon and Schuster
Obtained: Library
Alek is a prince without a throne. On the run from his own people, he has only a fighting machine and a small band of men.
Deryn is a girl disguised as a guy in the British Air Service. She must fight for her cause - and protect her secret - at all costs.
Alek and Deryn are thrown together aboard the mighty airship Leviathan. Though fighting side by side, their worlds are far apart. British fabricated beasts versus German steam-powered war machines. They are enemies with everything to lose, yet somehow destined to be together.

This book is mix of historical facts with alternate ideas. I’ve been told this is called steampunk or something, but I like “alternate historical fiction” better.

Even though it took me a while to get into this book (I had a lot of other books clamoring for my attention), once I actually started I couldn’t put it down. Both characters led equally exciting lives so I was never upset when the narrative shifted. Although, I could not WAIT for them to meet each other!! Luckily that did happen eventually, so I then I was very content.

Alek starts off as a whiney immature little boy (we SLOWLY learn both kids are 15), but through the adventures and hardships he becomes stronger, more sure of himself, and a very admirable teenager.

Deryn has always been independent and daring, pretending to be a boy to get into the air force. But she learns more caution and becomes more apt to quick thinking as she travels.
I’m not going to get too deep into the plot as there is a lot there, and you don’t need me to explain it all.

I enjoyed this book so much that I instantly got the sequel from the library. Want to know how often THAT happens? Not much. The book has to be REALLY good for me to be so impatient about getting the sequel (which, so far, is very good!).

Scott Westerfeld has done it again! First his amazing Uglies series, and now this series. (those are the ones I’ve read, he’s written other books)

Rating: 9/10


Content Warnings: Nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...