Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: The Maze Runner


Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Published: 2009 from Random House
Obtained: Library
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.
Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.
Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.
Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

I really liked this book. I was excited to read it because it’s a dystopian futuristic novel, and I’m kind of addicted to those… :)

So, the plot line was fantastic, lots of twists and “WOAH!” moments. It wasn’t completely addicting though, I would get bored of it and then have to come back later, but it was still entertaining. I think the story was a bit too stretched out…..although no moments of the book felt wasted. So I don’t really know what it was that didn’t completely draw me in.

The characters were hard to get used to…it took me awhile to actually LIKE any of the people in the story, but eventually you see their merits, their faults, and you end up liking most of them. The problem I think is that in the beginning, no one will Thomas ANYTHING and it’s the most ANNOYING thing to me (and Thomas). And the community has their own slang words which all have negative meanings and take awhile to understand.

What I really liked about this book was the premise and the way the suspense of “when. are. they. getting. out. of. this. maze?” was taken through the whole thing. While some moments were predictable, other’s weren’t in any which way..

The “bad guy” creatures thoroughly grossed me out, so props to the author for that invention.

I’m really excited about reading the sequel, The Scorch Trails!! :)

Rating: 8/10


Content Warnings: Nothing really objectionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...