Sunday, March 13, 2011

Content Warnings

I have decided to add content warnings (I might come up with a catchy name later) to my blog. Here is why:

Many times I have come across books which sound great, the plot is interesting, the characters sound nice, but how do I know that I'm not going to feel awkward at certain moments? Because the problem with the book industry is that the publishers think they can slap an age range on books, and that that will instantly tell the potential reader whether or not they can "handle" the content of the book.

I wish they would think about having a rating system like movies/video games have. Because I am sure there are plenty of other girls/guys out there who are trying to be careful about what they put in their minds like I am. Just because something is labeled as a Young Adult or Teen book doesn't mean that the content is going to be appropriate. I'm 16, considered an "older teen", and I still don't want to read really...awkward scenes in books.

I guess my main point is, I want to provide a way for teens who maybe want to read a popular book, but aren't sure what the content is like to have knowledge of it beforehand.
So from hence forth, I am adding a "content warnings" section at the end of each book review, detailing the possible content problems, from drugs to sex to bad language. While most books I read won't end up having much of that, I'll just have an option to tell you if there is any that I didn't foresee.

Also, I'm not going to make judgments or create the "rule" for who I think should read this book. I'm sick of those people who review stuff for bad content and then tell you whether or not you should read/watch it. Therefore, I am just going to list the stuff and let you come to your own conclusions.

Thank you for letting me rant and then explain myself.
Thank you for reading my blog, and I hope that I can be helpful to someone who thinks like I do.

~Amy

(You'll notice I already added a "Content Warnings" section to my most current review of Outside In)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...