Sunday, March 27, 2011

Review: Impossible


Title: Impossible
Author: Nancy Werlin
Published: 2008 by Speak (and imprint of Penguin Group)
Obtained: Bought
Lucy Scarborough is only 17, but she carries the burden of a curse that has already struck down several women in her family. Each of her afflicted ancestors failed at completing three seemingly impossible tasks, and each succumbed to madness at the birth of her first child. Facing this tragic fate, Lucy braces herself for a losing battle. Mercifully, she has allies in her struggle: intensely sympathetic foster parents and her loyal childhood friend Zach.

I loved this book.

I really couldn’t put it down because I was dying to know what happens. It might seem kind of simplistically written, but I honestly love books that I don’t have to pull out a dictionary for.

This story was beautiful, with it’s blend of magic and modern issues. It didn’t really address the issues it presented, but I don’t think that was the point. This is Lucy’s story of beating a family curse.

I absolutely loved the characters. Zach was sweet and amazing, I want one. Lucy wasn’t the strongest heroine, but she was still a character you ended up caring about.

What I really loved about this book was it’s presentation of marriage and love. Werlin really wanted to show that marriage is about working together and being a team. It’s not only about sex and whatever, it also about being there for the other person and really caring enough about them to think of them before yourself.

Rating: 9/10


Content Warnings: A bit of implied sex, and kissing. And a implied rape scene, kind of one of those fade-to-black moments, so you know it happened but you didn’t actually read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...