Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: Demonglass


Title: Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published: 2011 by Hyperion
Obtained: Library
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good – or kill her.
But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They’re demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

First Sentence: At a normal high school, having class outside on a gorgeous May day is usually pretty awesome.”


TIP: IF YOU HAVE NOT READ HEX HALL, GO READ IT, AND DON’T READ THIS UNTIL YOU’RE DONE WITH THAT. :)

This series is completely addicting. I finished Hex Hall and was waiting for Demonglass to get to my library (which took FOREVER), and while I was waiting, I picked Demonglass up in Barnes and Noble for a few minutes, and read a few chapters. Big mistake. I could not stop thinking about it. Well, finally I got it from the library and promptly devoured it that night.

First off: the cover. I love the reflection theme going on with the two books. The only problems I have with the cover are really little. She never ends up wearing the white dress and she doesn’t have a cat. I guess they throw a black cat on the cover to show the whole witch aspect, but it bugs me. If she had a cat, I could understand it.

In this book, Sophie is sure that she’s going to have the Removal to destroy her powers so that she’ll be sure she won’t ever “demon-out” or whatever. However this is dangerous, so her dad has her promise to go to London for the summer and think about it. While she’s there, with Jenna and Cal, she discovers (with the help of Archer) that some assumed good people are breaking the rules and doing very bad things.

With most love triangles, I can quickly pick the guy I like best, or who compliments the girl the best, and be on that “team” for at least that book, but honestly with this one I had no clue. I love both of them. And it might be because Sophie still really likes Archer, so the reader is compelled to really like him because she does. But then with “the other one” (I don’t want to spoil it..even though you’ll figure it out pretty quickly in the book), I love him, he’s more calm, but I’m really just not sure who’s best for Sophie. The two guys are so different. I almost feel like neither of them is that great for her. Nevertheless, she’ll obviously have one guy by the end of the last book (which better come out soon! This one ends kind of cliffhanger-y).

As I probably said in my Hex Hall review, Rachel Hawkins has a great talent at creating amazing characters. All of her characters are very real and fleshed-out. This book was definitely better than the last one.

This series is super amazing, if you like the whole “magic" genre. And even though Sophie is called a demon, it’s more like a really powerful witch than a legit demon. (Unless the demon goes crazy, which isn’t good.)

Rating: Capture878 


Content Warnings: Passionate kissing, quite a bit of milder language.

sig

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...