Saturday, April 20, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars


Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Series: --
Published: 2012 by Dutton Books
Version: Hardcover
Obtained: Gift :)

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

 

 


 


First Sentence:

Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed, presumably because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, ate infrequently, and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.”


This book is incredible.

It’s really hard to describe how incredible it is, so you’ll just have to trust me and read it.

This is the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster who has terminal cancer but is currently on a special treatment which is extending her life. She is in love with a book called An Imperial Affliction, which she reads over and over again. Her only social environment is a Cancer Kid Support Club, where she has one sort-of-friend, Isaac. One meeting, Isaac brings his friend Augustus Waters, who had cancer a year ago.

John Green’s writing is beautiful. So many sentences/paragraphs were written so well, I just stopped for a moment to admire them. It is written so intelligently! Hazel and Augustus speak in a way I wish I was smart enough to. They have highly intelligent conversation and engage in witty banter. I loved it.

I still feel so much emotion for this story, and I read it about two months ago. I can’t go too much into plot, or it will ruin the story (I knew next to nothing going in). But the story is inspiring and beautiful. It’s definitely not the typical “cancer book.” It didn’t just play with my emotions to make me say it’s a good book. It was genuinely well-written and emotional. I feel like my entire view on grief and pain is altered. And that’s a good feeling to know that a book changed my thinking.

I haven’t read anything else by John Green, but I definitely will now. I look forward to more intellectually stimulating and beautifully emotional stories.


Content Warning: Teenage sex, kissing, some language.

Rating:
5 Pigs

Blog Sig.

2 comments:

  1. Every review I've seen of this book has been nothing but compliments. I actually have the book but still haven't read it!!! It's in the middle of a sky high pile of books, peeking out at me. Once I finish the night circus I will finally read it.
    Lovely review! <3
    Marian ^_^ x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    I know the feeling! I have so many books lying around that I need to read. :) How is Night Circus? I've heard so much good about it, but still haven't read it...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...