Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: The Crown of Embers


Title: The Crown of Embers
Author: Rae Carson
Series: Fire and Thorns #2
Published: 2012 by Greenwillow Books
Version: Hardcover
Obtained: Bought

Elisa is a hero.

She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country’s ruler should be secure. But it isn’t.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from foreign realms and even from within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the power she bears, once and for all, Elisa must follow a trail of long-forgotten – and forbidden – clues, from the deep, hidden catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her go a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man whom – despite everything – she is falling in love with.

If she’s lucky, she will return from the journey. But there will be a cost.

First Sentence:
My entourage of guards struggles to keep pace as I fly down the corridors of my palace.


ATTENTION!! This is a SEQUEL and therefore the first book might be spoiled slightly in this review. So if you have NOT read the masterpiece that is Girl of Fire and Thorns, read my review of it. Then read it. Then come back here and read this. And then go get this book. See you in like…3 days. :)

 

Why Rae Carson? Why are your books devastating in SUCH a great way? Why do I finish them and then not want to read another book until the sequel comes out? Why are you so perfect?

All who have read the first in this series can agree with me when I say that these books are perfect. I legitimately think that they cannot be made better in any way. Also, if you thought the first book was unbeatable….oh boy.

The story picks up right where it left off. Elisa is trying to run this country she just inherited. After several attempts on her life, she decides to go in search of the source of all the world’s magic, so she can control her powers for once.

Elisa is the poster-child for proper character development. What a difference in her from the shy, overweight, and over-looked girl we met in the beginning of the series! She has matured through the events of the first book and now she is trying to understand how to be the person she has always wanted to be. Many times when she takes control of a situation, you just want to say, “Look at you go girl! Show them how smart you are!”

However, many people are still trying to manipulate and use her: basically everyone with power around her. With the beautiful exception of Hector. OH HECTOR, my friend! You went from being a faithful side character to becoming a full-blown, beautiful, complex, and HOT love-interest. When I first heard that Hector was the new love interest, I was like, “Isn’t he the silent bearded guard who barely had a part in the first one?” Oh my friend, you will fall in love with Hector even faster than Elisa.

More nice thoughts: Setting was just as vivid and immersing as last time, I want to go there. New side character of Storm = completely awesome. I love characters that don’t ever lie.
Mara…I love you. Thank you for making heavy moments light-hearted.

But hey, Rae Carson, stop killing me. You’re a bit of a jerk after that move you pulled in the first one, and now the ending to this one. I mean, it’s a wonderful set-up for the next story, but it made me slam the book down. A few times.

Now I will sit patiently, bookless, as I await late 2013.
(just kidding, I’ll totally be reading other books until then.)


Content Warning: Kissing and talk of sex

Rating:

5 Pigs

 

Blog Sig.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts about this post!
I respond to every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...